Celebrating 75 Years!
The history of Elgin County Library began in November 1934. Mrs. Della Ludy, librarian for the Rodney Library and Mr.G.V. Thornicroft of the Rodney Board of Directors began investigating the possibility of a library co-operative for the County of Elgin. It proved viable and a letter was sent to Florence Cameron of the St. Thomas Library asking for her assistance.
This association would be similar to ones already formed in Lambton and Middlesex counties.
The first formal distribution of books to the five member library co-operative took place in 1936.
By 1961, the 25th anniversary of the Library, the association had grown to 2 member libraries, 103 schools, 3 high schools, 15 bookmobile stops ands one deposit station.
In 1972 the bookmobile service was phased out.
In 1974 the association moved into new headquarters shared jointly with the St. Thomas Library.
In 1985 the Elgin County Library moved into the County Administration Building accross from the St. Thomas Psychiatric Hospital where they are located today.
What started out as a small; book buying co-operative has turned into a major cultural centre for Elgin County with a proven track record of excellent serice to its patrons.
The Elgin County Library will be celebrating its 75th anniversary in 2011. This website has been developed in dedication.