In 1930 the Port Stanley Library moved into two rooms in the north half of Russell House. In the mid-1940’s construction work began on a new library building. Located on Bridge Street, it was designed by John T. Findley of St. Thomas and was dedicated to Port Stanley citizens who served during the First and Second World Wars. The library officially opened on July 18, 1948.
In March 1949, the library joined the Elgin County Library Co-operative. The library was run by the Port Stanley Public Library Board until January 1, 1966 when it officially became the Port Stanley Branch of the Elgin County Library.
In 1981, the library was demolished and replaced by a new building constructed on the same site and attached to Town Hall. The new building was officially opened on September 26, 1981.
After extensive renovations, a grand re-opening was held on June 30, 2005. Renovations included a new fireplace and reading area funded by the Gordon and Jessie Wimbush Foundation.