"Don’t be lazy, don’t be tricky, don’t deceive
and don’t make enemies"
~ Book of Rules ~
In addition to their commercial activities,
the Anderson family established an extensive history of philanthropy and
personal service to the community of St. Thomas and Elgin County.
- President of the Elgin Patriotic Society.
- Trustee of the 91st Battalion Elgin Regiment canteen fund.
- Active in several civic building campaigns in St. Thomas, including
those supporting the construction of Memorial Hospital, new buildings for
the Y.M.C.A. and Y.W.C.A., and extensions for Alma College.
- Instrumental in establishing several golf clubs/courses in the St.
Donald Hume Anderson
- President of the Elgin County Unit of the Canadian Cancer Society.
- Chairman of the St. Thomas-Elgin Advisory Board of the Canadian
National Institute for the Blind.
- General Co-Chairman of the St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital
- Chairman of the Special Names (fundraising) Committee of the St.
Thomas Branch of the Canadian Red Cross Society.
- President of the St. Thomas Mental Health Care Association (now
known as the Elgin Association for Community Living).
- President of the St. Thomas Board of Trade, St. Thomas-Elgin Art
Gallery Foundation, St. Thomas Curling Club and St. Thomas Golf &
- Director of the St. Thomas Y.M.C.A., St. Thomas Industrial Board,
Elgin County Pioneer Museum and Kiwanis Club of St. Thomas.
Tour a gallery of images illustrating the Anderson family’s devotion to community